This is a recipe I got from my Mom years ago, a recipe traded over coffee and conversation. I have played with it, as I do all recipes it seems. This version is great and I know the raisins sound weird but believe me they really make this cake special. This cake makes a wonderful Thanksgiving dessert.. It freezes beautifully also.
For 12 Serving(s)
- 4 Large eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups canned pumpkin-NOT pumpkin pie mix
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped raisens
Pumpkin Cake Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease and flour an 8 cup tube pan or 3 medium sized loaf pans. This may also be baked in cup cake pans, for about 20 minutes and then check for doneness.
- Chop nuts and raisins by hand or pulse in a food processor.
- Beat eggs with sugar and oil until slightly thickened and pale yellow.Add applesauce to egg and oil mixture.
Sift together ,flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and spices and add to egg mixture, along with the pumpkin. Mix well to combine.
Pour batter evenly into pan (s) and bake the tube pan for 60 minutes or the loaf pans for 30to 40 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean. .
- Let the baked cakes sit for 10 minutes before unmolding onto wire racks to cool completely.Dust finished cake with powdered sugar or frost with your favorite cream cheese frosting.